The Language Education Master Program is the first study program opened since the UNJ Postgraduate Program was founded. The Language Education Master Study Program received its operational permits in 1993 with the Decree of the Director-General of Higher Education, Ministry of Education and Culture Number 590/DIKTI/Kep/1993 with the name of the Language Education Master Program. Graduates hold an academic title of Master in Language Education (M.Pd). The Language Education Master Program’s input is the undergraduates who come from various languages such as Indonesian, English, German, French, Arabic, Japanese, Mandarin, Regional, and other foreign languages. Based on the tracer studies results, bachelor graduates have mastered the subject of the target language. To meet higher levels’ needs, the Master Program in Language Education specializes in language education science that covers all existing language families.
As the only Language Education Master Program in the capital city, the Language Education Master Study Program is unique and alluring as it accommodates various Indonesian, regional, and foreign language education backgrounds. The majority of undergraduate graduates who work as language educators need further study to the master level. Therefore, the Language Education Master Program is a forum for English education graduates to develop their competence as teachers and educators in language education.
Language education is based on Article 35 of the 1945 Constitution, which places Indonesian as the official language whose existence and sustainability must be maintained and fostered. Language development is an effort to improve the quality of language use through language learning at all types and levels of education and language socialization to various social levels. The constitutional basis for using this language is further explained in Law Number 24 of 2009 in Chapter III, Article 25 to Article 45.
Like two sides of a coin, Indonesian regulation as the state language is related to regulating regional languages and foreign languages. The function and position of the Indonesian language, regional languages, and foreign languages are contained in Government Regulation Number 57 of 2014. The functions and positions of the use of regional languages and foreign languages complement regulations regarding the Indonesian language, which are required to implement national education in Indonesia. Local languages may be used in the early stages of education to convey certain knowledge and skills. In line with that, foreign languages can also support students’ acquisition of foreign language proficiency. Both regional and foreign languages support Indonesian as the main language of instruction in the national education system.
The urgency of Indonesian, regional languages, and foreign languages in the national education system encourages UNJ to organize and develop a modern and advanced Language Education Study Program to produce graduates who are capable of understanding, developing, and applying language education knowledge that is ethical and moral; Organizing and developing competitive, modern and advanced language education, based on science and technology by the development of society.
Based on the external quality audit of Higher Education National Accreditation Board Number 2113/SK/BAN-PT/Akred/M/IX/2016, the Language Education Master Study Program succeeded in obtaining “A” accreditation (very good). Based on the 2020 UNJ Internal Quality Audit, the Master of Language Education Study Program received the predicate “very good” for all the learning standard criteria. This shows that the Language Education Master Program has carried out the educational process according to the quality and standards that have been set.
to become the centre of reference for the interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary language and literature learning innovation that has a reputation in the Asian region.
To contribute to the advancement of Science, Technology, and Arts through the implementation of the Tri Dharma of Higher Education in the field of language and literature education, for the development of Indonesia and the global community
- Develop knowledge in the field of language education and literature through research to produce innovative and tested work,
- Produce innovative and tested problem solutions through an interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary approach in the field of language education and literature,
- Applying research results in the field of language and literature education following the demands of the latest developments in information and communication technology through interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary research to be able to compete at the global level,
- Able to manage research results in the field of language education and literature get national and international recognition.
- Able to develop pedagogy, linguistic, literary, cultural, literacy, and information technology benefits in language and literary education with his practice as an educator, researcher, developer of language and literary education, or entrepreneurial in the field of language and literary education to produce solutions in improving the quality of education for human benefit through an interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary
- Able to apply logical, critical, systematic, and innovative thinking in the field of language and literary education with its practice as an educator, researcher, developer of the field of language and literary education, or entrepreneurial field of language and literary education who has social sensitivity and concern for society and the
- Able to solve language and literary education problems by applying pedagogy, linguistics, literature, culture, literacy, and information technology through scientific methods with an interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary approach based on academic values, norms, and
- Able to implement solutions to language and literary education problems that suit the needs of language and literary education development through proven research and the latest and gain recognition at the national and international level.
- Able to develop innovative learning by applying concepts and principles of didactic-pedagogical in language and literary education by utilizing the science and technology- oriented towards life skills and contributing to improving the quality of education.
- Able to apply professionalism on an ongoing basis in language and literature education by researching reflective, evaluative, and digital literacy development
- Able to understand the research results in language and literacy education is current with an interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary approach recognized by the language and literary education community at the national and international level.
1. General Subjects
|99008113||Philosophy of Science||3 credits|
|99008123||Research Methodology||3 credits|
|99008142||Indexed Scientific Article Writing||2 credits|
2. Expertise Subjects
|99058113||Curriculum and Development of Language and Literature Teaching Materials||3 credits|
|99058123||Language and Literacy Learning Methodology||3 credits|
|99058133||Evaluation and Measurement in Language and Literature Teaching||3 credits|
|99058143||Linguistic theory and literature||3 credits|
|99058153||Genre-Based Language Learning||3 credits|
|99058163||Literacy and Language Teaching||3 credits|
|99058183||New Orientation in Educational Psychology||3 credits|
|99058193||Language Education Colloquium||3 credits|
3. Elective Subjects
|99058413||Language and Literacy Education Planning and Policy||3 credits|
|99058423||Creative Writing||3 credits|
|99058433||BIPA Teaching||3 credits|
|99058443||Entrepreneurial Development in Language and Literature education||3 credits|
|Choose 1 (one) course from the preferred courses available|
|99029013||Foundation of Education*||3 credits|
Note: * implemented before semester 1 lecture