The Applied Linguistics Doctoral Program’s input comes from the master graduates of education programs in various languages ranging from Indonesian, English, French, German, Arabic, Japanese, to Mandarin. These graduates have mastered the subject of the target language based on the results of the tracer study. To meet the graduates’ needs, the Applied Linguistics Doctoral Program focuses on the study of learning and teaching Indonesian, second languages, foreign languages, and studies on language and linguistics related to issues of language education, literature, translation, dictionary, speech, cultural studies, innovative learning of language and literature, forensic linguistics, literacy, and neuro-psycholinguistics.
Based decree of operational permit No. 590/Dikti/Kep/1993 dated October 21, 1993, the Language Education Doctoral Program became one of the study programs opened at the Postgraduate Program of Universitas Negeri Jakarta. In 2020, the Language Education Science Study Program obtained an A (Excellent) rating accreditation status based on Decree of the National Accreditation Board for Higher Education Number 7134/SK/BAN-PT/Akred/D/XI/2020. However, under Decree of Education and Culture Ministry Number 711/M/2020 on the change of the study program nomenclature at Universitas Negeri Jakarta, its name has changed into Applied Linguistics Doctoral Program.
A Study Program Coordinator leads the study program management. The coordinator is appointed and dismissed by the Rector upon the recommendation of the Postgraduate School Director. The Study Program Coordinator is responsible directly to the Director. The Study Program Coordinator for the 2020-2023 periods is Dr. Ninuk Lustyantie, M.Pd.
To produce competent graduates qualified in the field of applied linguistics, not only are students equipped with hard skills, but also with soft skills. The integration of soft skills in the learning process is intended to get supervision on academic activities and guidance in extracurricular, intra-curricular, and co-curricular fields directed to the skills needed for the 21st century. They are expected to have a spirit of leadership and discipline; can communicate, collaborate, and think critically and creatively, entrepreneurial. Therefore, they completely master and are experts in the field of Applied Linguistics.
To become a reputable center of reference for applied linguistics innovation in language and literature learning adopting interdisciplinary, multidisciplinary and transdisciplinary views in the Asian region.
To contribute to the advancement of Science, Technology, and Arts by implementing the Tri Dharma of Higher Education in Applied Linguistics in order to contribute to the development of Indonesia and the global community
- providing access to the public to improve its expertise in the education field through the higher degree program, i.e. Applied Linguistics Doctoral Program;
- optimizing the capacity and resources available at the Applied Linguistics Doctoral Program in contributing to the improvement of human resources in Indonesia especially in the field of applied linguistics;
- increasing the productivity of Applied Linguistics Doctoral Program in contributing to the provision of applied linguistic services to the public.
Implementing the Main Performance Indicators of the Study Program is portrayed in the graduates’ profile of the Applied Linguistics Program oriented to produce expert graduates as:
- Education practitioners: Able to manage research to produce new knowledge in the field of applied linguistics at various perspectives, mainly focusing on the adaptive learning of language and literature learning and relevant with the development of science and technology and various professional interests through interdisciplinary, multidisciplinary, and transdisciplinary approaches at the national and international levels.
- Researcher: Able to develop applied linguistics model research in learning language and literature to address the language and literary education problems relevant to the development of science and technology, multiculturalism, and nationality through tested interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary approaches and recognized at the national and international levels.
- Research and Development of Applied Linguistics: Able to develop models based on applied linguistics models in learning language and literature as a solution to adaptive language and literary education problems relevant to the development of science and technology, multiculturalism, and nationality by adopting tested interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary approaches and recognized at the national and international levels.
- Able to develop pedagogical, linguistic, literary, cultural, and literacy theories by utilizing information technology in language and literature learning to improve the quality of education for the humans’ merit by adopting interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary approaches.
- Able to apply logical, critical, systematic, and innovative thinking in applied linguistics in language and literature learning to discover a solution beneficial to society’s sustainable welfare.
- Able to solve problems in applied linguistics in language and literature learning to develop various scientifically proven alternatives by adopting interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary approaches based on theoretical values, norms, and ethics.
- Able to implement solutions to problems in applied linguistics in language and literature learning following the needs for developing education of language and literature education through tested and current research and gain recognition at the national and international levels.
- Able to develop innovative learning by applying didactic-pedagogical concepts and principles in the field of applied linguistics in language and
literature learning by utilizing science and technology, which is oriented to life skills and contributes to improving the quality of education.
- Able to apply professionalism sustainably in applied linguistics in language and literature learning by researching reflective, evaluative, and program development activities.
- Able to disseminate contemporary research results in applied linguistics in language and literature learning by adopting interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary approaches recognized by the community of applied linguistics in language and literary learning at the national and international levels.
1. General Subjects
|99009113||Advance Philosophy||3 credits|
|99009123||Advanced Research Methodology||3 credits|
|99009133||Advanced Statistics||3 credits|
|99009143||Indexed Scientific Article Writing||3 credits|
2. Expertise Subjects
|99069113||Cutting-Edge Linguistic Approach||3 credits|
|99069123||Cultural and Literary Studies||3 credits|
|99069133||Psycholinguistics in Language Learning||3 credits|
|99069143||Literacy and Language Teaching||3 credits|
|99069153||Translation Study||3 credits|
|99069183||New Orientation in pedagogy||3 credits|
|99069193||Applied Linguistics Colloquium||3 credits|
3. Elective Subjects
|99069413||Critical Discourse Analysis||3 credits|
|99069423||Forensic Linguistics||3 credits|
|99069433||Language Test and Program Evaluation||3 credits|
|99069443||Computational Linguistics||3 credits|
|Choose 1 (one) course from the preferred courses available|
|99069013||Foundation of Education||3 credits|
Note: * implemented before semester 1 lecture